The month of Ramadan is the month in which the Quran was sent down,
a guidance for the people, and clear verses of guidance and criterion.
[Quran: Chapter 2:183]

Sponsored

Friday, September 12, 2008

Unanswered Prayers?

We are told that during Ramadan the gates of Paradise are opened. Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) noted in a Hadith that: “When Ramadan begins, the gates of Paradise are opened.” (Bukhari). We are also told that supplications made during this month, especially coming from those who have fasted will be answered. The Prophet (pbuh) noted that, "The fasting person has a supplication that is answered when he breaks his fast".

In the Quran, God says that He will answer the prayers of those who pray to Him: "When My servants ask thee [O Muhammad] concerning Me, [tell them] I am indeed close: I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way" (Quran 2:186).

In another verse: "Your Lord says: 'Call on me, I will answer [your prayer]" (Quran 40:60).

So it goes that God listens and will answer our prayers. I do not often pray to ask for things for myself - but I do pray for good health, security, peace and harmony for myself and my family and friends. I think I whenever I have wanted something so much though, and I have prayed for it, I have obtained that thing from God.

But what happens when you you do pray, and ask God for help in something. And nothing happens? It can be frustrating indeed when that happens. All kinds of questions will run through the mind - Have I done something so bad that God ignores me? Am I praying the wrong way? Am I not deserving of what I want? Sometimes, it is unavoidable to feel a little resentful of God - I pray, God says he will listen and answer, yet I do not see any "result". Were all my prayers in vain then? Should I give up?

Yes, I will admit that there have been times in the past few months when questions such as the above have arisen in my mind.

Then, I received an email forward recently from a friend on the exact topic I have been mulling about. Coincidence? Probably not!

The Email:

" Unanswered prayers "

According to the Prophet, when someone calls on (Allah) God, one of three things happen:

(1) it is immediately answered;
(2) the answer to the prayer is deferred to Judgment Day, when the supplicant will be handsomely rewarded;
(3) the prayer will block a calamity that is to befall that person.

Our role is to be patient with the will of God and continue to be a humble, devout servant. We need to continue to pray. We have to trust that God has our best interest in mind, and that he will not do us harm. This is what God wants, and we have to be patient. Even though a particular prayer was not answered immediately, We need to continue to try and get up before sunrise and pray those extra devotional prayers. We need to pray more to God. God always hears those who call on Him.The most beautiful thing is, God never gets tired of hearing that voice. That is why nothing else in this world except God deserves to be worshipped.

Labels:

Special Ramadan Series

Dear Reader, Assalaamu’alaikum.

Ramadan Mubarak. We wish you a blessed and productive Ramadan! Make no mistake about it - keeping the fast and increasing our acts of worship during this blessed month is not an easy task. The physical demands of balancing work or school with fasting all day, feeling fatigued and less effective than you normally are, waking up for Suhoor, praying Teraweeh and Tahajjud prayers, dealing with sleep deficits.

But the last thing we would want is to let Ramadan pass us by without doing all that we aim and desire to. Do not allow yourself to feel guilty or regretful when Ramadan passes.

The Ramadan Series will send you emails with practical tips on how to gain and maintain the physical and spiritual energy necessary to embark on increased religious oligations so that you will reap the benefits from this blessed month. This includes special Ramadan duas to say during the month. Do sign-up today!

* Email
First Name
Last Name
* = Required Field
Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should have faith when we pray....

"But the prayer of those without Faith is nothing but (futile wandering) in (mazes of) error!"
Quran, 40:50

September 24, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails